Friday, October 12, 2007

23 Things #16

Wikis would greatly enhance our library's website. I have used Enoch Pratt's subject pages extensively but have been frustrated by webpage addresses that were no longer valid or "holes" that I detected in the list. Of course, I had no way of addressing the problems. If Howard County Library developed the subject pages as a wiki that our customers could use, experts from the community could give information that librarians might not have.

Also, allowing customers to add reviews of particular books or movies on our catalog would be great! I've always read customers' reviews of books on Amazon or Barnes and Noble's website while preparing a booktalk or including a book for a bookclub list.

Including a community wiki on our website would be helpful, especially if all the communities had separate entries.

Of course, there could be a problem with vandalism and inappropriate comments. Controls would have to be instituted from the start. However, I see more positive value in using wikis in our library website than negatives.

Please note my 23 Things #17 can be found on our Staff Internet.

No comments: